POLITICIANS HAVE TO GUARD THEIR CHARACTER AND INTEGRITY

POLITICIANS HAVE TO GUARD THEIR CHARACTER AND INTEGRITY

The recent article in Mas in the Cemetery is clearly defamatory of the Minister if untrue in the allegations and innuendos offered. 


Some time ago I gave a reasoned opinion why it was that the writer is in fact Tossy Johnson. He equally defamed me and I took the position that I would ignore him for he is a man of straw unable to pay legal damages and a law suit would be throwing away my money. 


Besides, I am not an active politician in Dominica and my character can withstand the test of anything thrown at me that is patently untrue and libelous.

Not so for Hon Rayburne, a family man, active politician and Minister in the government. The damage to his character, integrity, and good standing in his community, and nationally, could lessen the estimation and confidence of those who nominated and elected him to public office. 


For literary thugs who are men of straw the only penalty is a jail term. And for those who lay false and unsupported allegations against public officials a term of imprisonment if proven with malice aforethought.


I support the exercise by the Minister of his right to lodge a criminal complaint for this type of criminal libel if proven will set an example of the guilty to deter others from following suit.


Herbert Volney

Comments