KINGS LAND HOUSE AND ASTAPHANS, ROSEAU.
LENNOX HONNYCHURCH was asked:
"Do you by any chance have any photos of Kingsland House (now J. Astaphan & Co.)
I remember vaguely the entrance of King Geo. V. Street, the big wall, and seeing that house way inside.
I remember pretty flowers. I was just a kid at the time, and although when Astaphan's opened up the supermarket I was a little older, I cannot remember much more than that."
Well here you are. I just remember it too. The first photo is Kingsland House which was the residence of Dr. John Imray, the founder of Dominica's health service (hence Imray Ward at the PMH Hospital).
Well here you are. I just remember it too. The first photo is Kingsland House which was the residence of Dr. John Imray, the founder of Dominica's health service (hence Imray Ward at the PMH Hospital).
It was located at the upper end of Market Street, now King George Street. Imray left it in his will to Dr. Henry Alfred Alford Nicholls, (hence Alford Ward at the PMH Hospital).
Dr. Nicholls left it to his daughter Maggie Nicholls, who was alive when you were a child. And she sold the house and land with its beautiful garden to J "Waddy" Astaphan, who demolished the building and constructed on the site Astaphan's Supermarket, seen in the second photo.
By Dr. Lennox HonnyChurch

Comments
Post a Comment