Lost in America

Former Maths teacher St. Marys Academy in Dominica, who spent his summer vacation with a male friend in the United States (US) many many years ago and opted not to return home, is warning Dominicans to desist from illegally overstaying in that foreign nation in search of opportunities, including employment.
Zead Lyoldston, who requested that his real
name not be used, said he has been finding it difficult to cope in the US since making the ill-advised decision to overstay on his non-immigrant visa.
“Right now I am just frustrated and want to go home, I am tired of hiding from ICE.  It is not what I expected, to be honest. I am basically living in someone’s basement, getting odd jobs, like doing painting and construction in the days, and by nights, I occasionally wash plates in a restaurant or sometimes I clean the bathrooms at a hotel… 
If I did just hear what my mother say and not run off, things would be better. I don't encourage anyone to run off, to so called greener pastures without a solid plan". 
The United States Homeland Security has reported that many Dominicans overstayed their US non-immigrant business/tourism (B1/B2) visas between October 1, 2017, and September 30, 2018.
B2 visas, as well as B1 visas, are for visitors who travel to the US and plan to go back to their home country afterward after short-term visits, spanning three months or up to a year. Specifically, the B1 visa is for business visits, while the B2 visa is for pleasure, tourism and medical visits..
In addition, Brown said he has lived in at least two states in the US over the past two years, and has been moving in between jobs. However, he said that since February of 2019, he has been able to find three steady part-time jobs, and he is now residing with one of his employers in the latter’s basement.
“Since coming here (to the US), it’s the best it has been fi mi, but mi been through hell. In 2018, I was at one point staying at a shelter for homeless people. That is how difficult it has been. I had no relatives here and that is why I had it difficult and I am still having it difficult. Mi mother cry every time mi call her, because she a fret dat dem (US immigration authorities) will hold on to mi, but I’m telling her I will try sort out my papers,” Brown disclosed.
A recent tweet by United States President, Donald Trump, has heightened the fears of both the Dominicans and his relatives in his homeland.
The tweet, sent out from the president’s official twitter account, stated that, “All people who are illegally coming into the United States now will be removed from our country at a later date, as we build up our removal forces, and as the laws are changed, Please do not make yourselves too comfortable; you will be leaving soon!

Comments