EEF I WUZ...

EEF I WUZ...

The recently re-established S.H.A.P.E grouping, I would be very pleased to announce our emergence from dormancy and now poised to play our vital role in Dominica. The “Society for Heritage, Architectural, Preservation and Enhancement (S.H.A.P.E.)” promises to look after Dominica’s heritage through its architecture. 

With Marica Honychurch as President (her uncle Lennox was our very first) and Michael Lees as Vice President, we plan to facilitate funding for private owners to preserve their traditional homes and to bring recognition to the importance of historic buildings, including the Barracoon Building, the Public Library, and the Old Market. 

“In the same way, as we value our Creole food, language, song, and dance, S.H.A.P.E. believes in the worth of our built environment and its key role in the economic and social development of Dominica. Traditional architectural features have served Dominica well and can be incorporated into our modern “structures”. If S.H.A.P.E. had remained active in recent years, we would surely have tried to arrange to secure somehow the status of that Roseau building that once was the home of Dominica’s internationally famous author JEAN RHYS. Alas, too late now for action... 


Comments